Tampa Bay is a large natural harbor and estuary along the Gulf of Mexico on the west central coast of Florida.
Spanish maps dated as early as 1584 identifies Tampa Bay as Baya de Spirito Santo (“Bay of the Holy Spirit”). A map dated 1695 identifies the area as Bahia Tampa. Later maps dated 1794 and 1800 show the bay divided with three different names, Tampa Bay, Hillsboro Bay and the overall name of Bay of Spiritu(o) Santo.
The United States acquired Florida from Spain in 1819. The name Spirito Santo seems to have disappeared from maps of the region in favor of “Tampa Bay” (sometimes divided into Tampa and Hillsboro Bays) soon after Fort Brooke was established at the mouth of the Hillsborough River in 1824.
The Tampa Bay Area is the region of west central Florida adjacent to Tampa Bay. Definitions of the region vary. It is often considered equivalent to the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metropolitan Statistical Area (or MSA) defined by the United States Census Bureau.
- Paris Hilton Goes Tastefully Topless In A Pic On Instagram October 20, 2017
- X Factor hopeful Tracy Leanne Jefford suffers unfortunate wardrobe malfunction as she reveals a little too much beneath ill October 20, 2017
- Two Friends with Totally Different Bikini Bodies Land Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Gig October 20, 2017
- It’s Time to Start Talking About Ashanti’s Glamorous Instagram Bikini Photos October 20, 2017
- Demi Lovato Goes Topless on Instagram After Baring All in New Documentary October 20, 2017
- Good Gawd: Ashanti’s Gorgeous & Glittery Bikini Baaaaaaaaaawdy Is Melting The Internet Back To ‘Foolish’ October 20, 2017
- Myleene Klass shows off her flawless figure in a leopard October 20, 2017
- Katie Salmon suffers epic wardrobe malfunction as her perilously slashed mini dress as she departs clothing bash in Manchester October 20, 2017
- Bloody Nipples?! Pregnant Jessie James Decker Gets Real About Breastfeeding: “My Boobs Get So Massive” October 19, 2017
Tampa, FloridaTampa is a city in the U.S. state of Florida. It serves as the county seat for Hillsborough County and is located on the west coast of Florida, on Tampa Bay near the Gulf of Mexico.
In 1824, the United States Army established a frontier outpost called Fort Brooke at the mouth of the Hillsborough River, near the site of today's Tampa Convention Center.
- This week in odd news: Bathtub gator; Too fat for prison?
- Small Plane Has Emergency Landing on a Florida Street, Strikes Two Cars
- Superiority complex: USF continues to battle schedule, expectations
- Celebrating Diwali: Annual Festival of Lights gets underway in Central Florida
- Guest column: Girl Scouts designed to help girls excel on their own terms
- Find every new Shine festival mural in St. Petersburg with this map and photos
- Plan your weekend: Clearwater Jazz Holiday, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, MarineQuest, Florida Orchestra pops in the park, rodeo
- Meet-up at the Mullet Festival
- Putting elegance into age: US granny beauty queens
- Florida teacher accused of molesting 13-year
Ann’s CookbookAnn's Cookbook # On the menu # Inspiration and entertainment. The recipes for life. Start your day right.